New food openings around town
Waffle Supreme wooed us all the way from Victoria St. First we took note of the smell of freshly pressed waffles, and then venturing further into Elliott St, spotted its source, a fire-engine red container, which had been fashioned into a one-stop waffle shop.
The new venture is Andy Graham's, a superyacht chef who grew fond of the traditional Belgian-style waffle during his time in Europe. Complete with high stools out front, a purpose-built waffle iron and Eightthirty Coffee, Waffle Supreme looks set to become the inner city's naughty indulgence, day or night.
And the star menu pick? It has to be the traditional Liege waffle, a yeast-leavened dough, spiced with cinnamon, vanilla, honey and caramelised Belgian Pearl sugar. Made fresh to order, these babies are thick and chunky, possessive of a crispy outer and soft inner. Purists will order it with just a pinch of icing sugar, but you can also opt for a slather of dark Belgian chocolate.
• Corner Elliott and Victoria Sts, City. Open 7am-7pm, Mon to Fri; 10am-7pm Sat and Sun
Grey Lynn's Delicious has been revamped into Siostra, a tempting offering from Esther and Beki Lamb, the talented sisters from Sunday Painters. The family theme runs through (siostra is Polish for sister), with cocktails named after their grandmothers and stylish sisters featuring on menus. We suggest heading there tonight for an abundant charcuterie platter or the chorizo and octopus skewers with ouzo aioli.
• 472 Richmond Rd, Grey Lynn. Ph (09) 360 6207
Another Grey Lynn newcomer has taken up shop in what was previously home to Spanish bistro Mondial. Dilecta's dining room is lighter and brighter, and chef Anthony Gradiska has taken over the kitchen with a Mediterranean-inspired menu. Highlights include pan-flamed octopus with chorizo, tomato, smoked potato and olives, and the goat ribs, with ras el hanout and lashings of tahini yoghurt. Read our review in next Wednesday's Viva.
• 549 Great North Rd, Grey Lynn. Ph (09) 376 6682Share this:
- How Track Pants Became 2020's Breakout Wardrobe Star
- Tommy Hilfiger On The State Of America & Opening A New Zealand Flagship Store
- Meet The Nose Behind Aesop's Unexpected New Rose Fragrance
- From Helpful Apps To Mindful Pottery: The Myriad Ways To Mark Mental Health Awareness Week
- Moana Maniapoto & The Enduring Legacy Of 'AEIOU'
- Still Cool: Ollies Ice Cream Parlour