New Openings: Bars and Eateries to Try Around Auckland 28/4/17
The latest bars, cafes and restaurants around town
1. Bones on Vulcan
Transforming an unused ATM location to a quirky espresso bar with a little help from The Fit Out Company, this hole-in-the-wall helmed by Hunter McLeod is where you’ll find the bare bones of a damned good caffeine hit — a dark and mysterious Supreme blend designed to wake the dead.
4 Vulcan Ln, Auckland City
If you only pick one place to visit from this list, make it this contemporary Greek restaurant. The light-drenched space with velvet booths and marble tabletops sets the scene for a feast of wood-fired, flame-grilled specialties (they do a spit-roasted pineapple!) that showcases executive chef James Kenny’s culinary prowess. Read Jesse Mulligan's review here.
269 Parnell Rd, Parnell
3. Middleton Cafe & Bar
Elegant and sophisticated yet approachable are three words that come to mind as soon as you step through the Middleton doors. Whether you’re after a quick drink or a leisurely lunch, the steady stream of delectable dishes making their way out of the kitchen sing of the flavours the chefs love to eat and our nation’s best seasonal produce, in portions that promise to keep you satisfied.
Lobby of 125 Queen St, Auckland City
The Russians are coming, the Russians are coming … well, actually they’re here. Don’t miss the Moloko (not the musical duo, it’s the Russian word for milk) take on brunch which features everything from Russian ricotta pancakes to the Bolshoy breakfast with interesting additions like the beef sashlik (Russian shish kebabs) and a side of sauerkraut.
139 Meadowbank Rd, Meadowbank
5. The Barnacle
From the brewmasters behind Brothers Beer comes a pub on the water where fresh seafood is king and the craft beers and cocktails overfloweth. Adding yet another feather to Orakei Village’s cap, the pohutukawa-shrouded spot overlooking the basin is a prime locale for an after-work tipple with a side of seriously slurpable, freshly shucked morsels.
232 Orakei Rd, Remuera
6. Jemima’s Kitchen
It may be a little out of the way for some but we’ve received word that the perfectly pink prime New Zealand beef burger with smashed tomatoes, aged cheddar, burned pickled onion with a generous dollop of housemade aioli is well worth the drive.
470 West Coast Rd, Waitakere
WATCH THIS SPACE
• Viaduct hotspot The Crew Club has closed its doors for good and will reopen in early June as a new establishment inspired by our Pacific heritage. I will bring you the first look at the new bar and eatery, which will feature a wide selection of cocktails, beer and wine alongside a locally inspired menu, and will be a “slice of paradise on the water’s edge”.
149 Quay St, Auckland Central
• And in other food news, Troy Mentor from Dizengoff has announced he is taking over the reins at Kokako Cafe in Grey Lynn as of June 7. This marks the end of his 12 years at the helm of the Ponsonby Rd favourite of the fashion set, which has been bought by Annelise Poorter and Robert Platt.
537 Great North Rd, Grey Lynn
Move Over Matcha: Moringa Hailed To Be The 'It' Superfood Of 2019
Wednesday March 13, 2019Sponsored
- An Unforgettable Stay At Fiji's Luxurious Paradise Cove Resort
- What Does 'Clean' Beauty Really Mean? Beauty's New Buzzword Explained
- How Sustainability In Salons Is Shaking Up The Hair Industry
- Looks Of The Week 14/06/19
- 6 Bright & Bold Makeup Looks To Get Playful With
- Still Cool: Ollies Ice Cream Parlour