Oregano Focaccia With Roasted Red Pepper Butter
Elevate your next platter to a new level with homemade bread and flavoured butter
Knock this focaccia up to eat warm with any flavoured butter you like. This bread is also delicious dipped into a plain or flavoured olive oil.
OREGANO FOCACCIA RECIPE
Makes 1 loaf
1 1/3 cups tepid water
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp yeast granules
3 cups flour
2 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
1 tsp salt
¼ cup olive oil
1. Into the tepid water add the sugar and yeast, give it a quick stir then leave for 10 minutes until frothy.
2. Place the flour, oregano and salt into a large bowl. Add the oil to the yeast mixture then pour into the flour and stir to combine. Tip on to a lightly floured bench and knead for 5 minutes. Place the dough into a clean, lightly oiled bowl, cover and place into a warm spot for an hour to double in size.
3. Preheat an oven to 180C. Tip the dough on to a lightly floured oven tray. Press the dough into a rough circle. Let it sit for 20 minutes in a warm place to rise a little. Bake for 20 minutes until it sounds hollow when tapped.
4. Remove and enjoy warm, or sliced with a scoop of your favourite butter.
Try this butter on roasted vegetables or on the top of a barbecued steak. Once you have mastered this flavoured butter there will be no going back. Try roasted garlic, herbs or get a little extravagant with some truffle oil. Then, of course, you can try a sweet maple or honey. The options are endless.
ROASTED RED PEPPER BUTTER
Makes 1 ½ cups
200g butter, cubed
1/3 cup milk
1 red pepper, roasted, skinned and seeded
1. Place the butter into a pot and melt until just bubbling. Remove and cool completely to room temperature.
2. Puree the roasted red pepper in a blender until smooth.
3. Beat the butter until light and creamy for 5 minutes. Add the milk, beating for a further 3 minutes. Then add the red pepper mixing through until well combined. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week.