Recipe: Apple and buttermilk fritters
APPLE AND BUTTERMILK FRITTERS
• 1 cup self-raising flour
• 2 Tbsp brown sugar
• ¼ tsp cinnamon
• ¼ tsp salt
• ½ cup buttermilk
• 2 eggs
• 3 apples, 2 grated, 1 cut into small cubes
• 1 Tbsp lemon juice
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 tsp cinnamon
• Oil for frying
1. In a medium sized bowl, place flour, sugar and first measure of cinnamon and salt. Whisk buttermilk and eggs together. Make a well in middle of flour, then add liquid. Whisk until you have a smooth batter.
2. Squeeze excess juice from grated apple, then place into a bowl with cubed apple. Add lemon juice and stir. Add this to batter and combine.
3. If you don't have a deep fat fryer, fill a pot three-quarters full with oil and heat to a medium heat - 170C if you have a thermometer. Cook 1 dessertspoon of fritter mix to get the temperature right and to check the cooking time, 3-4 minutes.
4. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
5. Cook a few at a time, then toss into sugar.
6. Serve hot or warm. They are delicious with mango compote below.
Makes 1 cup
• 1 medium mango, peeled cut into 1cm cubes
• 2 Tbsp honey
• 1 tsp lemon juice
• ½ tsp lemon zest
• 1 Tbsp chopped candied ginger
• 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
• ¼ cup water
1. In a small pot place mango, honey, lemon, gingers and water. Slowly bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer and cook until liquid is thickened and syrupy. Cool before serving.Share this: