Beetroot and Orange Soup Recipe
This hearty soup is delicious served with cheese toasts
BEETROOT AND ORANGE SOUP
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped finely
4 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp orange zest, plus extra for garnish
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
5 cups cubed raw, peeled beetroot
2 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
500ml beef stock
1 cup passata
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
50g blue cheese, to garnish
1. In a large pot heat oil with onion and garlic. Saute for a few minutes until softened.
2. Add orange zest, ginger, beetroot, thyme, stock, passata, sugar and salt. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30-40 minutes until beetroot is completely soft. Pour into a blender and mix until completely smooth. Do this in a couple of batches. Pour into a clean pot. Season with pepper and extra salt if needed.
3. Serve hot with crumbled cheese and orange zest on top and a side of gorgonzola toasts (below).
GORGONZOLA AND PINE NUT TOASTS
• 20g pine nuts
• 60g gorgonzola
• 1 tsp olive oil
• 50g cream cheese
• 1 Tbsp chopped chives or parsley
• Freshly ground pepper to taste
• 20 toasted crostini
1. Preheat grill.
2. Place pine nuts, gorgonzola, oil, cream cheese, chives, and pepper into a processor. Blitz until well combined. Spread mixture on to toasted bread. Place under grill to brown for 40 seconds. Serve hot with soup.Share this: