Beetroot, Apple and Date Chutney Recipe
Try this delicious chutney recipe with lashings of cheese on crackers
Beetroot, apple and date chutney
Makes 8 cups
• 2 red onions, diced
• 1kg raw beetroot, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
• 2 apples, cut into 1cm cubes
• 500ml red wine vinegar
• 500g white sugar
• 1 Tbsp yellow mustard seeds
• 1 Tbsp grated ginger
• 1 cup stoneless dates, dry or fresh
• 1 Tbsp ground coriander
• 1 tsp ground cloves
• 1 tsp cinnamon
1. In a large pot, place onion, beetroot, apples, vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, ginger, dates, coriander, cloves and cinnamon.
2. Bring slowly to a simmer, stirring occasionally, then continue to simmer for 1¼ hours until apples are mushy and beetroot tender and soft. Stir occasionally during cooking.
3. Let it sit for 15 minutes before you pour into sterilised jars. Seal while hot.
4. If you can leave it for a month it will improve, but it can be eaten straight away. It will last up to 6 months in a cool, dark space.Share this: