Chicken Biryani Recipe
Layer chicken, sweet sultanas and ample spices for a fragrant meal
• 2 green chillies, chopped finely
• 3 cloves garlic, crushed
• ½ cup coriander, chopped
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• ½ tsp chilli powder
• ½ tsp garam masala
• 1 tsp salt
• ½ cup yoghurt
• 600g chicken thighs, cut into 2cm cubes
• 20g butter
• 2 onions, sliced
• 2 cups cubed potatoes
• 2 cups basmati rice
• ½ cup sultanas
• ½ tsp turmeric
• 4 cups chicken stock
• 1 Tbsp butter
• 1/3 cup slivered almonds
• ¼ cup coriander leaves, to garnish
1. Heat oven to 170C.
2. In a bowl combine chillies, garlic, coriander, cumin, chilli, garam masala, salt and yoghurt. Add the chicken, combine well and marinate for 20 minutes.
3. In an ovenproof casserole dish or large frying pan heat the butter. Add the onions and cook for 4 or 5 minutes until lightly browned.
4. Add the potatoes and brown slightly. Stir through the chicken, rice, ¼ cup sultanas, turmeric and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer then cover and place into the oven for 40 minutes or until the liquid has absorbed.
5. In a small frying pan, melt the tablespoon of butter and fry the remaining sultanas and almonds until golden.
6. Serve the biryani hot with a scatter of almonds and sprinkle with coriander.Share this: