Recipe: Home-Made Crumpets
• 2 tsp active yeast
• 1 tsp sugar
• ½ cup water
• ½ cup milk
• 1¾ cups flour
• ½ tsp salt
• ½ cup warm water
• ¾ tsp baking soda
• Oil spray for cooking
• To serve - butter, jam, or golden syrup
1. Combine yeast and sugar. Heat water and milk until just above body temperature. Sprinkle over yeast and sugar and leave in a warm place for 10 minutes until frothy.
2. Place flour and salt in a large bowl. Add yeast mixture and stir to combine to form a soft dough. Cover and place in a warm place for 40 minutes or until doubled in size.
3. Combine second quantity of water and soda and stir vigorously through dough. Cover and leave for 30 minutes in a warm place.
4. Heat a frying pan to a low heat. Spray a 9cm cookie cutter with oil and place into middle of frying pan. Fill with ½ cup of crumpet mixture. Cook for 4 or 5 minutes until bubbles appear and the edges are starting to set. Remove from ring and cook top for 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
5. Serve with your favourite jam, golden syrup or grill with cheese and ham.Share this: