Recipe: Pan-fried fish with honeyed aubergine and tomato coulis
Pan-fried fish with honeyed aubergine and tomato coulis
• 2 smaller aubergines, sliced ½ cm thick
• Salt and pepper, to season
• 100ml olive oil
• 3 Tbsp white wine
• 3 Tbsp honey
• 4 Tbsp water
• 8 basil leaves
• 2 sprigs thyme
• 50ml olive oil
• 6 basil leaves
• 1 sprig thyme
• 2 strips orange zest
• 1 strip lemon zest
• 6 medium ripe tomatoes
• 1 Tbsp tomato paste
• 10g butter
• Pinch of sugar
• 2 Tbsp olive oil
• 4 x 150g fish fillets
• Salt and pepper
1. To make the aubergine: Season the aubergine slices with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a frying pan to a medium heat. Fry the aubergine slices for 3-4 minutes each side until lightly coloured. Set aside on a tray.
2. Heat the wine and honey in a small pot until just starting to boil, then add the water. Pour over the aubergine and mix well. Add the basil leaves and thyme. Cover and set aside for 24 hours or overnight.
3. To make the coulis: Warm the olive oil in a small pot with the basil leaves, thyme, orange and lemon zest for 5 minutes. Do not boil -letting the oil boil will fry the herbs.
4. Chop the tomatoes, liquidise them with the tomato paste and push through a fine sieve. Warm the tomatoes through without boiling. Then whisk in the strained olive oil and butter. Add a pinch of sugar and season with salt and pepper.
5. Preheat an oven to 170C. Remove the herbs from the aubergine. Place into the oven to warm through while you cook the fish.
6. To cook the fish: heat the oil in a frying pan. Cook the fish for 3 or 4 minutes each side depending on the thickness. Season with salt and pepper.
7. To plate: Arrange the aubergine on to four plates, place a piece of fish on the top then even the sauce between each plate.Share this: