Recipe: Pea roulade with bacon and spinach filling
PEA ROULADE WITH BACON AND SPINACH FILLING
• 1 Tbsp butter
• ½ onion, chopped roughly
• 2 ½ cups frozen peas
• ¼ cup chopped parsley
• ½ tsp salt
• 60g butter
• 3 Tbsp flour
• 1 cup milk
• 1 cup pea puree (see above)
• 3 eggs, separated
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• Splash of oil
• 4 rashers bacon
• 2 spring onions, sliced
• ½ cup sour cream
• 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
• 1 cup shredded spinach or rocket
• 1/3 cup grated parmesan
1. Line a Swiss roll tin with baking paper. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. To make the pea puree: In a pot melt the butter, add the onion and cook for 3 or 4 minutes. Add the peas, parsley and salt. Cover with boiling water and bring to the boil for 4 minutes until the peas are softened.
Strain, reserving the liquid. Place the peas and onions into a blender and whizz until smooth. You may need to add a little of the strained liquid. Sieve peas to create a smooth puree.
3. To make the roulade: Heat the butter in a pot. Add the flour and cook for 2 minutes without browning. Slowly add the milk and stir to make a smooth thick sauce. Add the pea puree. Stir the egg yolks into the sauce.
4. Whisk the egg whites until thick. Take a little sauce and fold through the white, then gently fold through the remaining sauce mixture. Pour straight into the lined tin. Bake for 15 minutes until set in the middle. Remove from the oven and cool.
5. To make the filling: Heat a little oil in a frying pan and cook the bacon until crispy. Remove and drain on a paper towel. Fold through the spring onion, sour cream, mayonnaise, spinach and parmesan.
6. Turn the roulade out on to a clean piece of baking paper. Spread the filling over the roulade and roll up from the long side, using the baking paper.
7. Serve immediately, or you can reheat for 10 minutes, covered. Serve with a salad.Share this: