Petite Kitchen's Jamaican Jerk Chicken
Eleanor Ozich serves a Caribbean-style classic
This fabulously fragrant chicken is marinated in a punchy Caribbean-style sauce full of warm and delicious spices. I love to grill the chicken on the barbecue to intensify the flavours, although it can also be pan fried. For maximum flavour, marinate the chicken overnight.
FRAGRANT AND DELICIOUS JAMAICAN JERK CHICKEN
• 8 free-range chicken breasts
For the marinade
• 4 large garlic cloves, peeled
• 2 Tbsp dried chilli flakes
• 1 red onion, chopped
• ¼ cup coconut or muscovado sugar
• Large handful of fresh thyme
• 2 Tbsp ground allspice
• 1 Tbsp sea salt
• 1 tsp dried nutmeg
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• ½ cup apple cider vinegar
• ¼ cup soy or tamari sauce
• ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
• ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
• ¼ cup olive oil
• 1 tsp ground black pepper
• 2 limes, quartered
• Fresh garden greens
• 1 cup plain yoghurt
1. Add marinade ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
2. Lay chicken breasts in a large container or baking dish. Pour marinade on top, making sure it coats chicken well. Cover and leave to marinate in fridge for at least 3–4 hours, or preferably overnight.
3. Grill chicken breasts in a frying pan, chargrill pan or on a hot barbecue over medium high heat for 4–5 minutes on each side, or until the juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into thickest part of chicken.
4. Carve chicken into slices about 1cm thick. Serve warm, with garden greens, a wedge of lime and a dollop of plain yoghurt. Any leftover marinade will keep for up to 1 week in an airtight container in the fridge.
• For more from Eleanor Ozich see petite-kitchen.com
- The Culinary Mavens That Will Make You Rethink Everything You Thought About Bar Food
- 8 Pimple Patches To Help Clear Just About Every Type Of Breakout
- Restaurant Review: Britomart's Kingi Has Found The Boldness Of Its Vision
- Delicious Smoked Fish & Charred Vegetable Salad
- Soak In A Summer Film Festival & More Fun Things For The Weekend
- Glasshouse Fragrances' Collab With Artist Sarah Fordham Delivers Neon Nostalgia