Road Trip Refuelling: Where to Stop
Old and new favourites for a drink, icecream or sit-down meal on the road
1. The Kiosk (above) is a recent addition to Matakana. The "coffee and soda hut" is housed in a freight container, and serves home-baked treats. Perfect for a pre-market, mid-Collectables Trail or post-Tawharanui excursion.
2. A must on the way to Golden Bay or Abel Tasman National Park is Toad Hall. The sunny spot just outside Motueka is the best choice for a real fruit icecream or just some real fruit.
3. Updated recently by the canny Hip Group, Waihi Beach Hotel Eatery and Store is our choice for a gourmet meal or a gelato on the Coromandel route.
4. For a classic Kiwi pub experience, you can't look past the Puhoi Pub Hotel & Stables, with its swappa beers and antique-filled interior. The beautiful tavern has stood here since 1879, and its proximity to Auckland makes it a good escape from the traffic for an hour or two.
5. For a roady close to Auckland, we love The Bethells Cafe. The local favourite, which opens for the summer months, has musicians playing on Friday evenings and great burgers.Share this: