A Saucy, Simple Steamed Mussels Recipe With Garlic & Chilli
Tomatoes, white wine, garlic and chilli form the sauce of this quick-to-prepare meal
Under-utilised, mussels are a cheap meal and quick and easy to prepare. Use them in a bisque, stew, fritter or hot and steaming straight from the pot. These will warm you right through. Bread to soak up all the juices is a must. Discard any open mussels before cooking.
STEAMED MUSSELS WITH GARLIC AND CHILLI RECIPE
2 dozen mussels
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 carrot, chopped small
1 stick celery, sliced
1 red chilli, finely chopped
1 cup white wine
2 Tbsp chopped thyme
200g roughly chopped tomatoes
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
½ cup basil leaves
Bread, to serve
1. Wash the mussels, removing any unwanted attachments and pull out the beards.
2. Warm the oil in a large heavy-based pot. Add the onion, garlic, carrot, celery and chilli, cooking slowly for 10 minutes until softened. Stir through the wine, thyme and chopped tomatoes, and bring to a simmer.
3. Once the heat is up, add the mussels, place on the lid and allow them to steam open. Check after a few minutes, removing any that have opened and allowing the last few to cook.
4. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the mussels in bowls with the liquid and vegetable goodness spooned over. Garnish with basil leaves.Share this:
More Food & Drink
EASY WEEKDAY RECIPES
- Vegetable Bolognese
- These Buildable Chicken & Mayo Lettuce Cups Are Refreshingly Easy To Make
- Seared Kingfish With Fresh Greens
- This Crumbed Fish Toasted Sandwich With Pea Mash Is An Easy Lunch Idea
- Make The Most Of Your Pantry Staples With These Smart Recipes
- Easy Breakfast Recipes To Fuel Your Morning