Sunny Courtyards & Rooftop Bars to Visit
Make the most of the warm weather with a refresher at one of these sun-soaked spots
Parasol and Swing
A new opening for Auckland's Viaduct Harbour, Parasol and Swing Company have a menu filled with fried chicken burgers, lamb cutlets, fresh fish, and waffles. Meanwhile, the drinks list celebrates thoughtful cocktails, boutique wine producers and craft beer.
• Viaduct Harbour, between Dr Rudi's and Soul Bar. Visit Parasolandswing.co.nz
Mission Bay Pavilion
The beautiful pink interior of Mission Bay Pavillion is matched by a lovely sea-facing courtyard. Next time we visit we can't wait to try their squid ink spaghetti with fresh tomato, Cloudy Bay clams, prawns, squid, cuttlefish and mussels.
• 44 Tamaki Dr, Mission Bay. Visit Missionbaypavilion.co.nz.
Cornwall Park Bistro
Something of an undiscovered gem when we visited last year, Cornwall Park Bistro is serving up scrumptious dishes in a relaxed setting. Sit outside for lunch this summer, then top off your visit with a wander through the gorgeous park.
• Cornwall Park, One Tree Hill. Visit Cornwallparkeateries.com
Settle in for a delicious burger and some kimcheese fries in Tiger Burger's lovely new courtyard. There are six Korean-inspired burgers on the menu, plus delicious sides and desserts to nibble on. Their craft beer list is generous too, making it a great spot to soak up the sun with a refreshing beverage.
• 549 Great North Rd, Grey Lynn. Visit Tigerburger.co.nz
With a sunny outdoor space and ocean views, Swashies is a gem nestled within Westhaven Marina. With its pirate theme, seafood takes centre-stage here, and it's one of the nicest places in the city to enjoy fish and chips. The menu is brimming with options though, and everything on it is fresh and cooked perfectly.
• 23b Westhaven Dr, Westhaven. Visit Swashbucklers.co.nz
With a breakfast menu that ranges from smoothie bowls and bacon and eggs to cauliflower rice nasi goreng, Waiheke eatery The Courtyard is a little more interesting than your average brunch spot. Park up with a sharing platter or the fried brussel sprouts, which have become the talk of the town.
• The Courtyard, 149 Ocean View Rd, Waiheke Island. Visit Thecourtyardwaiheke.co.nz
With sea views and some of the best food in the city, it's hard to go past Euro on a sunny day. Kick things off with some fresh oysters and bubbles, and make sure to finish things off with a delectable dessert.
• 22/147 Quay St, City. Visit Eurobar.co.nz
Pocket Bar & Kitchen
This Grey Lynn bar is always bustling and has an interior decorated with lush plants, and an outdoor space great for meeting friends. There are cheeseboards and interesting snacks if you're in the market for some after-work nibbles.
• 592 Great North Rd, Grey Lynn. Visit Pocketbar.co.nz
This one's for you inner-city slickers looking for a breath of fresh air. The courtyard at Everybody's is calling your name — we'd recommend the frose or a cocktail, or heading along to happy hour, which is between 5pm and 7pm everyday.
• 7 Fort Ln, City. Visit Everybodys.co.nz
With French wines and waitstaff, this bistro was welcomed with open arms when it opened last year. Its amazing menu is reason enough to visit, but the sunny courtyard is beckoning us back for the summer.
• 1-3 St Marys Rd, Ponsonby. Visit Augustusbistro.co.nz.
Another bright spot on Waiheke Island, Tantalus is a restaurant, winery, and brewery all rolled into one. Head out onto their deck for a bite and a brew, and don't go past the truffle fries with creme fraiche.
• 72 Onetangi Rd, Waiheke. Visit Tantalus.co.nz
A prime location for the avid dog-spotter, be sure to don some SPF if you're heading to Mary's courtyard. Their menu ranges from light salads to croque monsieurs and lambs fry and bacon, depending on your appetite.
• 13 St Marys Rd, Herne Bay.
Brother's Juke Joint
For those tempted by smokey, tender meats cooked low and slow, Brother's Juke Joint is calling your name. With an expansive outdoor area, this is a great place to park up for a relaxed afternoon of barbecued treats.
• 5 Akiraho St, Mt Eden. Visit Brothersbeer.co.nz
This rooftop brewery has prime views of the viaduct and plenty of fresh brews on tap. On the menu, there are pizzas by the foot (including dessert options) and generous platters to keep you going. Pop inside for a spot of bowling if you're game.
• Level 2, 204 Quay St, Viaduct. Visit Drrudis.co.nz
Dining al fresco at Waiheke's Casita Miro is our kind of heaven. With outstanding wines and tapas-style food, the ingredients of which are often locally sourced. Look out for special paella pop-ups and music events in the months to come.
• 3 Brown Rd, Onetangi, Waiheke. Visit Casitamiro.co.nz
This quickly became one of our favourite wine bars when it opened earlier this year. It serves plates of simple, European food and has a brilliant drinks list. We were won over by their offer of cheese by the gram and impressed by their friendly, relaxed vibe. Sit out front or enjoy their newly-opened outside space.
• 277 Ponsonby Rd, Three Lamps. Visit Annabelswinebar.com
The Tasting Shed
Take a trip out to Kumeu and enjoy the open spaces surrounding The Tasting Shed. Try their fresh seafood (like ceviche with blood orange, chilli, ponzu and hibiscus), comforting meatballs or mac and cheese, or lamb shoulder with romesco, fennel, gherkins and walnuts.
• 609 SH 16, Kumeu. Visit Thetastingshed.co.nz
Other sunny spots on our radar
• The Oyster Inn, Waiheke
• Pah Homestead, Hillsborough
• The Glass Goose, City
• La Zeppa, City
• Regatta Bar and Eatery, Takapuna
• Devon on the Wharf, Devonport
• Xuxu Dumpling Bar, City
Renowned Chef Mark Southon On The Paddock-To-Plate Ethos Of His New Venture Ethereal | Artisan Kitchen
Thursday April 14, 2022Sponsored
Red, White & Green: This Trailblazing Vineyard Is Rooted In Sustainability
Thursday April 7, 2022Sponsored
The Future Is Brewing & A New Generation Of Coffee Products Are Mixing Things Up
Monday Feb. 28, 2022Sponsored
The Best Part About This Super-Quick Pea & Spinach Pasta Is That There Are No Rules
Saturday Feb. 26, 2022
More Food & Drink
EASY WEEKDAY RECIPES
- Vegetable Bolognese
- These Buildable Chicken & Mayo Lettuce Cups Are Refreshingly Easy To Make
- Seared Kingfish With Fresh Greens
- This Crumbed Fish Toasted Sandwich With Pea Mash Is An Easy Lunch Idea
- Make The Most Of Your Pantry Staples With These Smart Recipes
- Easy Breakfast Recipes To Fuel Your Morning