The Dish: What's new in food this week
SO FRESH, SO CLEAN
As the latest addition to Auckland's inner city, Misters Real Food is whipping us into shape with a wholesome, made fresh to order day menu. Meals can be packaged for those on the go, or enjoyed on site, with a leafy living wall designed to instill calm. The work of hospitality newcomers Fraser Jamieson and Alex Brayne, Misters will become a fast friend for those with dietary restrictions, as Jamieson draws on his own health experiences to develop clean food options to sustain us through the day.
• Open for breakfast and lunch Monday to Friday from 7am to 4pm, and Saturdays from 8am to 3pm. 12 Wyndham St, ph (09) 379 9939.
MEXICO: THE COOKBOOK
Pegged as the definitive bible of Mexican cuisine, Mexico: The Cookbook is a true joy for the home cook. Compiled by celebrated Mexican chef and food advocate Margarita Carrillo Arronte, the book digs into the heart of Mexican cuisine.
Discover recipes for pozole stews, tamales, moles, learn how to make tortillas from scratch and impress guests with Day of the Dead bread or Divorced Enchiladas. You'll quickly become a proud maker of this bold, fragrant cuisine, and feel compelled to skive off on a culinary pilgrimage of your own.
• Mexico: The Cookbook is out Monday, October 27 (Phaidon Press $65).
A DUMPLING LUNCH
Britomart's Xuxu is now catering to the day crowd as well as hungry night owls, with their new weekday lunch service. A steaming plate of handmade dumplings for the midday meal? We think yes.
• Xuxu Dumpling Bar is open for lunch Wednesday to Friday, noon till late.
What we're loving around town right now...
• The raspberry and polenta cake from Giles on Shortland St. Moist, not too sweet, just the right ratio of raspberry to polenta. You'll practically inhale it.
• The exquisite starters on Tonka's menu in Melbourne's atmospheric Laneways. Think smoked trout with cocnut and chilli, wrapped in a bite-sized betel leaf.
- How Track Pants Became 2020's Breakout Wardrobe Star
- Tommy Hilfiger On The State Of America & Opening A New Zealand Flagship Store
- Meet The Nose Behind Aesop's Unexpected New Rose Fragrance
- From Helpful Apps To Mindful Pottery: The Myriad Ways To Mark Mental Health Awareness Week
- Moana Maniapoto & The Enduring Legacy Of 'AEIOU'
- Still Cool: Ollies Ice Cream Parlour