Vegan Carrot Cake Recipe
Try this beautiful vegan carrot cake with moreish ingredients
Coconut, ginger, pineapple and orange combine in this beautiful vegan carrot cake. Linseed, sometimes called flaxseed, is soaked in water to become the binding agent. Smooth peanut butter is easier to beat for the icing, but if you like a bit of texture, use crunchy. This cake keeps well in the fridge for a few days.
VEGAN CARROT CAKE
3 Tbsp linseeds
¾ cup cold water
1 cup flavourless oil
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup crushed pineapple
100g toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ginger
1 cup desiccated coconut
3 cups grated carrot
Zest of ½ orange
½ cup peanut butter (or other nut butter)
2 cups icing sugar
Little hot water
Zest of ½ orange
Optional fresh pineapple spices to garnish
1. Preheat an oven to 180C. Line two 20cm tins with baking paper.
2. Place the linseeds and water in a small bowl and leave to soak for 15 minutes.
3. In a larger bowl combine the oil, sugar, vanilla and pineapple. Then stir through the linseeds.
4. Combine half the hazelnuts, flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, ginger, coconut, carrot and zest together in a large bowl. Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir well. Divide the mixture between the two tins. Bake for 40 minutes until soft to touch. Remove and cool.
5. For the icing, beat the peanut butter in a little hot water to relax it then add the icing sugar and orange zest. Add water until you get a spreadable icing.
6. Place one of the cakes on a plate and spread with half the icing. Top with the other cake and then the remaining icing. Top with the hazelnuts and pineapple slices to garnish.