Recipe: Flatbread with Figs & Feta
Try Angela Casley' divine home-made flatbread
FLATBREAD WITH FIGS & FETA
Makes 3 or 4
• 250ml warm water
• 1 tsp yeast
• 1 tsp sugar
• 400g plain flour
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp caraway seeds
• 4 tsp fig jam
• 2 red onions, sauteed in 1 Tbsp oil
• 2 cups spinach
• 8 figs, cut into wedges
• 100g feta
• 2 Tbsp olive oil
• Freshly ground pepper
1. Place the water in a bowl. Add the yeast and sugar. Let it sit for 10 minutes until frothy.
2. In a large bowl place the flour, salt and caraway seeds. Pour yeast mixture into the middle then mix well. Tip on to a lightly floured surface and knead for 10-15 minutes until glossy and very smooth. Add a little extra flour if it gets sticky. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and place into a warm place for 2 hours or until doubled in size.
3. Preheat oven to 200C.
4. Knock the dough down a few times then leave for 20 minutes. Place an oven tray into the oven to get really hot.
5. Divide the dough into three or four. Roll each piece into a rectangular shape — a little rustic is fine. Place one on to the tray and into the oven for 5 minutes. Remove and wrap in a clean tea towel. Cook the remaining dough in the same way.
6. When ready to top the flatbread, turn the oven down to 170C. Place on to a baking tray. Spread with jam, onion, spinach, figs and feta. Bake for 15 minutes until the figs are caramelised and golden.
7. Drizzle with olive oil and freshly ground pepper. Serve warm.Share this: