Recipe: Thick Pea, Ham and Vegetable Soup
THICK PEA, HAM AND VEGETABLE SOUP
• 25g butter
• 2 onion, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, chopped
• 3 medium sized carrots, chopped
• 1 stick celery, chopped
• 2 litres good stock or water
• 1 ham hock
• 250g yellow or green split peas
• ½ teaspoon salt, freshly ground pepper
• ¼ cup chopped parsley
• Croutons, to sprinkle on top
1. Melt the butter in a large pot. Add the onions, garlic, carrot and celery. Sweat for 8-10 minutes until soft but not brown.
2. Add the stock, ham, split peas, salt and pepper.
3. Bring to a simmer and cook for 1 hours or until the meat is falling off the bone and the peas are soft. Remove the hock and pull the meat from the bone, dice and return to the soup.
4. Just before serving add freshly chopped parsley. Top each bowl with chunky croutons.Share this:
- The Adorable Pets Looking For Their Forever Home
- Stylish Accessories For Pampered Pets & Their Owners
- Watch: Kate Sylvester & Hera Lindsay Bird On What It Means To Be An 'Exploding Woman'
- Jesse Mulligan Reviews New Yakitori Restaurant Omni
- Chef Kirsten Gilmour's Ode To New Zealand's Cafe Culture
- Sandwich Scout