Bondi Harvest at the Food Show
Guy Turland and Mark Alston are heading to New Zealand this month
Bondi Harvest’s Guy Turland and Mark Alston can’t wait to live out their Kiwi fantasy of surfing in the morning and snowboarding in the afternoon. When they’re not hitting the outdoors later this month, the Aussie online stars will be cooking live at the Food Show, sharing their healthy favourites such as pastrami-cured hot smoked New Zealand salmon on buckwheat beetroot crepes.
What started as an internet cooking show and travel blog has since come to life with the opening of the Bondi Harvest restaurant and cafe in Bondi Junction. The duo also have a cookbook in the works, and plans to take their Ottolenghi-inspired eatery overseas.
The brand was born when the old surfing buddies decided to combine their skills. Guy worked at top Sydney restaurants est. and Icebergs before he and his family opened Jo & Willy’s Depot seven years ago. Meanwhile, Mark is a film-maker with a background in photography, design and music video.
Collaborating “doesn’t feel like work”, says Guy (pictured, right). He and Mark have travelled the globe, including the US where they camped at national parks, caught wild salmon and were chased by bears. Another webisode saw them drive for five days from Bells Beach to Bondi in a 1979 Kombi van, stopping at small towns to cook and surf.
They’ve attracted 21,400 Instagram followers who keep up with their hipster approach to nutritious food and lifestyle. Well, mostly nutritious, if you don’t count their Anzac Biscuit Ice Cream Sandwiches.
“I’m a massive believer in what I call real world balance,” says Guy. “What’s the point in training hard and eating healthy if you can’t enjoy beer or dessert at the end of
• The Food Show, July 30 to August 2, ASB Showgrounds. See foodshow.co.nz or bondiharvest.com.
- New Opening: Peach's Hot Chicken Opens Permanently In Panmure
- Billie Eilish's Beauty Evolution: Her Most Outlandish Looks
- Bollywood Theatre & Other Fun Things To Do This Weekend
- Fashion Photographer Mario Sorrenti & Cult Skincare Brand La Mer's Oceanic Collab
- Restaurant Review: Nanam Is A Great Addition To Takapuna's Dining Scene
- Still Cool: Ollies Ice Cream Parlour