Where to Stay: Luxury Lodge Mahu Whenua
Enjoy the new suites at Mahu Whenua Ridgeline Homestead and Eco Sanctuary near Wanaka
Imagine waking up to this stupendous view during a weekend getaway — it would be a seriously tough ask to drag yourself out of bed. This is the type of vista you’ll enjoy during a stay in the new suites at Mahu Whenua Ridgeline Homestead and Eco Sanctuary, 20 minutes out of Wanaka.
The luxury lodge, which opened at the end of last year, now has four options for guests — two self-contained Cottage Suites and two Homestead Suites within the property’s original homestead building — offering views of Mt Aspiring National Park, Lake Wanaka or the Motatapu River. The sumptuous decor reflects the uniqueness of the surrounding landscape, with traditional stone schist walls and weathered timber throughout.
A host and chef will be at your beck and call, and you’ll have access to a media and games room, library, pool table and dining and lounge areas within the homestead. There’s a spa pool and swimming pool on-site, as well as access to all the activities the Central Otago region has to offer: think horse trekking, heli-skiing, wellness activities and farm tours. Best of all, with a maximum of eight guests, you’re almost guaranteed total privacy and seclusion.
An enormous property, Mahu Whenua is made up of four high country stations owned by South African-born record producer Robert “Mutt” Lange — Motatapu, Mt Soho, Glencoe and Coronet Peak — which he took sole ownership of following his divorce from Canadian singer Shania Twain in 2008.
• The opening rate is $1850 per suite per night for up to two guests and includes all meals, in-house chef, host and staff. Visit Mahuwhenua.co.nzShare this:
- Where To Eat & Drink In Singapore, From Hawker Fare To Fine-Dining
- Where To Find The Top 50 Bars In The World
- An Unforgettable Stay At Fiji's Luxurious Paradise Cove Resort
- Annabel Langbein Travels To Provence, France
- Sydney's Paramount House Reopens As A Boutique Hotel
- The Best Places For A Rooftop Drink In Hong Kong