Inside Beauty World Japan 2017
Auckland nail artist Imogene Bevan of Pop Nails catches the mood at one of the world's biggest beauty expos, Beauty World Japan
"Japanese nail artists have always had a huge impact on me. Ever since I started Pop Nails back in 2014, they have given me the most inspiration for how I work. When the chance came to travel to Tokyo this May and attend one of the biggest beauty expos in the world, Beauty World Japan, for its 20th anniversary, I couldn’t resist. With over 500 exhibitors and attracting nearly 60,000 visitors across just three days, Beauty World Japan, held at Tokyo’s iconic ‘Big Sight’ convention centre, is a true industry icon.
Before I ventured to Tokyo my goals were to meet fellow beauticians and nail artists, soak up new trends and see new products, learn about new treatments and make connections with suppliers; but most of all I just wanted to draw inspiration from what I consider to be the beating heart of the industry I’m so passionate about.
A trend I picked up at the expo was the treatments and products encouraging hand care. Going into the winter season, some key methods to maintaining healthy hands include indulging treatments such as hand masks, and the regular use of hand care products. This is something I feel is extremely important and will be bringing back to my clients, alongside the incredible nail art trends that I have seen.
Here are some snapshots from my trip that show the scale and energy of the expo."
- Bold Moves Ballet Debuts & Other Fun Things To Do This Weekend
- Braised Beef Potato Top Pie With Red Wine, Basil & Paprika
- Makeup Artist Blair Gamblin's NZ Fashion Week Beauty Routine
- Meet The Team: Johanna Thornton, Deputy Editor
- Viva Talks Podcast: Dan Ahwa and Doris de Pont On Aotearoa Style & How We Dress Today
- Jesse Mulligan Reviews The Churchill, Auckland City's Sexy New Rooftop Bar